Sophomore Course HMS Vanguard
This Sophomore Course is based on the Amati kit, HMS Vanguard. This course consists of 18 chapters and covers the complete construction of the kit including masting and rigging. It is ideal for modelers with some model shipbuilding experience including more complex models.
No modifications are made to the design of the kit. However, some enhancements are shown as options. The hull planking consists of two layers. This course covers how to apply each of these layers. Copper plating of the hull is also covered.
With this course, the modeler will learn the basics of double planking the hull of the model ship, how to build deck furniture, masts and spars, and how to do three mased rigging. The course teaches many of the basics of model shipbuidling and is a stepping stone to more complex models.
Here is a breakdown of the chapters and what they cover:
- Chapter 1 - Tools needed, hull framework
- Chapter 2 - First layer of hull planking
- Chapter 3 - Second layer of hull planking
- Chapter 4 - Initial painting of hull, galleries, transom, gunport framing
- Chapter 5 - Copper plating
- Chapter 6 - Main deck details
- Chapter 7 - Forecastle/quarterdeck with details
- Chapter 8 - Galleries and transom details
- Chapter 9 - Poop deck with details
- Chapter 10 - Final deck and hull details
- Chapter 11 - Channels and chainplates
- Chapter 12 - Making the masts
- Chapter 13 - Making the spars
- Chapter 14 - Standing rigging
- Chapter 15 - Running rigging
- Chapter 16 - Mounting masts, final standing rigging
- Chapter 17 - Mounting yards, final running rigging
- Chapter 18 - Ships boats, final details
The kit must be purchased separately and may be purchased from Historic Ships.com.
Refund restrictions apply. Please see our refund page for details.
ATTENTION NEW CUSTOMERS - Receive our free mini-practicums, Planking Model Ships, Modeling Ship's Boats, Making Sails, and Silver Soldering when you purchase this course WITH photo CD.